Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Costa Mesa
Many residents walk in Costa Mesa (instead of driving) because of the nice weather. Costa Mesa is well known for its numerous restaurants, bars, and shopping. Therefore, these attractions draw in a lot of foot traffic.
Being hit by a car or truck, even a motorcycle, causes serious injuries to a pedestrian. Also, as the population continues to grow in Orange County (and in Costa Mesa), it is inevitable that pedestrian accidents will occur. There are steps you can do before and after a pedestrian accident to keep your rights protected.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Daniel Kim and his staff have years and years of experience representing pedestrian accident victims in Orange County. If you are ever injured in a pedestrian accident you don’t want to attempt to fight the insurance companies alone, instead, call us for a free consultation.
Pedestrian accidents are very serious and often result in major injuries, like brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. After being treated for these injures, you should not be responsible for the expensive medical bills. Therefore, this is why you need to hire an experienced lawyer like Daniel Kim.
Daniel Kim connects clients with the top medical providers in Orange County including physicians, chiropractors, physical therapists, and others. At The Law Offices of Daniel Ki, we put our clients first. This is why we have over 1,000 positive reviews on Google and Yelp
To learn more about your case, call just today. We offer a free, no-risk consultation. In addition, we’re available to assist 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
How Much Is a Pedestrian Accident Worth?
Following an accident, pedestrian accident victims will likely research the average settlement amount from a car accident or whether or not to sue after being hit by a motorist.
Putting a monetary value on your well-being should not be an easy calculation. Additionally, every case will vary. To get the most accurate estimate possible, it’s best to meet with an experienced personal injury attorney. Remember to educate yourself about having to pay taxes on a personal injury settlement.
There are many, many factors that go into a pedestrian accident settlement. That is why it’s so important to contact an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer, like Daniel Kim. Your settlement will be based on the following:
- Fault – A collection of strong evidence, like the police report, can help prove fault
- Recovery – Your level of injury affects healing time and treatment
- Injuries – Ultimately, the severity of your injuries plays a large role in compensation
- Work – Loss of wages from missed work or preventing future work opportunities
Common Types of Pedestrian Accidents in Costa Mesa
Just like any accident pedestrian accidents result from a number of reasons. However, these collisions are often due to driver negligence, where the driver is at fault. Here is a breakdown of the most common pedestrian accidents in Costa Mesa:
- Crosswalk Accidents – Hitting a pedestrian while they walk in a crosswalk is a serious offense with potential criminal ramifications.
- Intersection Accidents – This happens when vehicles are turning at intersections and the driver doesn’t see a crossing pedestrian.
- Hit and Run Accidents – When this happens, it’s usually because the drivers do not have car insurance or a license.
- Back Over Accidents – Commonly occurs in a driveway or parking lot while a vehicle is backing out.
Common Injuries From a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accident injuries are typically severe and can even be life-threatening. Many variables can affect how severe the injuries are that you suffer. For example, factors include how fast the car was going or the type of vehicle they were in. Most common injuries we see from pedestrian accidents:
- Internal Injuries – This includes internal bleeding, rib fractures, brain bleeds which are all very serious
- Head Trauma – Traumatic brain injuries must be treated with extreme caution
- Broken Bones – Any part of the body can suffer from broken bones
- Back and Spine – Spinal injuries affect movement and mobility
- Wrongful Death – when the accident results in an untimely death
Costa Mesa Pedestrian Laws and The Right-of-Way
As young children, most of our parents did their best to teach us about crossing a busy street. Only being careful doesn’t always give you the right of way as a pedestrian and there are strict laws set forth by California that you need to adhere to.
- Do not stop your vehicle in a crosswalk.
- You can only drive a car (or motor vehicle) on a sidewalk when you are entering or exiting a garage or alleyway.
- You are not to pass another vehicle that has stopped at a crosswalk because the odds are good a pedestrian is crossing.
- A driver must always yield the right of way to any pedestrian while they are crossing a roadway within any crosswalk at an intersection.
- Failing to yield to a blind pedestrian can lead to a fine and possible jail time.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics in Costa Mesa
Pedestrian accidents in Costa Mesa are the least likely type of traffic accident in the city. However, more than 1,000 people were involved in accidents in 2017.
Deaths and Injuries
In 2017, there were some pedestrian fatalities after being involved in automobile accidents. At that time, the average was 5.7 people per year. In addition, over 80% of all pedestrian accidents in Costa Mesa involved some kind of injury.
Overall, instances of drivers operating vehicles while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Also, pedestrians are 551% more likely to die in a DUI accident.
80% of all accidents in California are reportedly caused at least in part by drivers that were distracted. Also, inattentiveness while behind the wheel is just as dangerous as drunk driving.
40% of drivers involved in accidents admitted to distracted driving causing their accidents. In addition, they acknowledge cellphone use while driving was illegal. However, they still continued to use their phones.
The Most Dangerous Intersections in Costa Mesa
Victoria St. and Valley Rd. in Costa Mesa (on the west side of the city) is one of the most dangerous intersections for pedestrians. Traffic engineers have reportedly looked at just how dangerous this intersection is.
Finding that drivers can become distracted by the curvature of the road – particularly after the sun has set. The goal is to make changes that will make this area safer moving forward. Other dangerous intersections for pedestrians are:
- Harbor Blvd. and Adams Ave.
- Harbor Blvd. and Sunflower Ave.
- Baker St. and Fairview Rd.
- Victoria St. and Harbor Blvd.
Practice Areas We Specialize In
At The Law Offices of Daniel Kim, our personal injury attorneys in Costa Mesa exclusively handle motor vehicle accident cases. This sets us apart from other law firms that take any case just to make a quick dollar. Our outstanding attorneys focus on motor vehicle accidents. This allows us to offer the best service to our clients who want real experience and knowledge.
Motorcycle Accidents – As we all know riding a motorcycle is very dangerous, and almost all motorcycle accidents lead to severe injuries.
Truck Accidents – there are actually quite a few semi-truck accidents in the area, but our law firm knows what needs to be done to protect your legal rights.
Lyft / Uber Accidents – Uber and Lyft have become so popular that sometimes it seems like every other car on the road is an Uber or Lyft driver. Uber has a unique commercial insurance policy.
Pedestrian Accidents – These are always bad accidents because a pedestrian has no chance against a 2,000 lb. car that runs them over.
Car Accidents – This can involve any type of crash from an Uber wreck, to maybe a teenage driver hitting you, or maybe an old lady ran a red light and rear-ended your car. Call us for any automotive-related accident.
Bike Accidents – Bike accidents always lead to a serious injury, even if you are wearing a helmet. Broken bones and road rash are common in bike accidents.
About Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa is internationally known for its arts and theater district, one of the most notably recognized being the City of the Arts, where the top hotels in Orange County are located. The Segerstrom Center for the Arts is also located in the City of the Arts and holds Broadway productions and concerts. Costa Mesa is also home to the largest indoor shopping mall on the West Coast, South Coast Plaza. Other local hotspots include The OC Mix, The LAB, and The CAMP.