Laguna Beach Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
When you live (or visit) in a place like Laguna Beach, walking becomes a daily activity.
If you do walk to work, or the gym, or just to the beach, you must be aware of your surroundings (especially cars) at all times because when a pedestrian is hit by a car it’s usually a bad situation.
There are things you can do to avoid being hit as a pedestrian, like wear bright clothing, and don’t jaywalk, etc., but it’s impossible to completely avoid being hit by a car.
You can easily get hit by a teenager running a stop sign, or an Uber driver in Laguna Beach running a red light while you are walking in a crosswalk.
There are a million ways that a pedestrian accident can happen, and that is why we are here to help.
If you or a family member has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Orange County then call us today for a FREE consultation.
Why Contact Law Office of Daniel Kim
Being injured in a pedestrian accident can be a life changing event, and even if you only suffered minor injuries the psychological impact can stay with you for a Long time.
Daniel Kim is a top rated pedestrian accident lawyer in Laguna Beach who is always here to help the local community.
Our law firm has years of legal experience helping accident victims here in Orange County, and we are proud of the reputation we’ve built.
The insurance companies are not interested in paying accident victims after they have been injured, instead the insurance companies would prefer to prove you were at fault and then they can just deny your claim.
This point is very important to understand because many pedestrian accident victims don’t hire a lawyer and think the insurance company is going to just roll over and pay them fairly.
Call us today for a FREE consultation and get answers to your questions.
More Facts About Law Office of Daniel Kim
- We have over 1000 reviews on Yelp and Google
- A+ rating on the BBB
- We will help you get proper medical treatment
- You don’t pay us any Fees until we win your case
- Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Common Injuries From a Pedestrian Accident In Laguna Beach
The city of Laguna Beach is known for its beautiful weather and pedestrian friendly streets.
The Village Entrance Project of Laguna Beach has many goals in keeping the roads safe to bike riders, motorists and pedestrians as they all travel through town.
No matter how safe pedestrians try to be, there is always a chance that injury can occur when there is an accident with a motorist.
There are many reasons why a pedestrian may find themselves in a dangerous situation and crossing the road at intersections have always been high risk.
Pedestrians and motorists need to be on the lookout for each other and abide by the rules.
These laws are there for the public safety of everyone sharing the roads.
Injuries can range from minor to devastating depending on many different factors unique to each situation.
Most common injuries we see from pedestrian accidents:
- Scrapes, cuts and bruising (This can be minor or if serious can also lead to infection, scarring and long-term healing.)
- Bone fractures (This includes arms, legs, ribs, pelvis, wrists, ankles etc. All bones are at risk depending on point of impact.)
- Internal injuries (These types of injuries can be extremely dangerous and internal bleeding is often hard to detect at first, leading to complications and even death.)
- Torn ligaments (Can occur by the tearing tendons in the neck, shoulder and knee area. Surgery may be required with certain tears and may have long term effects.)
- Pelvic injury (This is quite common unfortunately with most vehicles hitting pedestrians at the hip and pelvic level. Pain and suffering are definite with this type of injury.)
- Traumatic brain injury (A pedestrian’s head and brain are at high risk in an accident. Hitting the head on the car or pavement is incredibly damaging.)
- Spine (An injury to the spine can cause paralysis and have long term effects if severe. Anytime the back is injured healing may take time and often lead to surgery)
- Fatality (This can happen in pedestrian accidents and is the result of devastating injuries where a person dies.)
What to Do After Pedestrian Accident
Hopefully if you are ever a victim in a pedestrian accident the injuries will be minor.
If you are able to calm down and think there are some helpful instructions of what you need to do next.
- Seek medical attention – The first thing you need to do in a pedestrian accident. This is invaluable in the claim against the party at fault. Never take your injuries for granted.
- Call the police – Make sure the accident is reported and a file is created. Incredibly important to get the legal authorities involved.
- Contact the emergency vehicles – This is important to assist the accident scene and if a trip the hospital is necessary. Pedestrians must make sure of all injuries and their severity.
- Gather information – If you can, get info from all involved. This includes insurance, driver’s license, names address, police reports, badge numbers, witnesses etc.
- Take pictures – Important to get the vehicles license plate and show the cars and the scene where the accident occurred.
- Contact the Law Offices of Daniel Kim.
California Pedestrian Laws
Cal. Vehicle Code 21950 (States that all vehicles must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk. Pedestrians must not suddenly leave a curb in front of vehicle. Vehicles still have responsibility to be operated safely given the circumstances.)
Cal. Vehicle Code 21954 (States that all pedestrians outside a crosswalk must yield to vehicles. Drivers must still exercise due care for safety of any pedestrians.
There are many other laws that are required of motorists and pedestrians alike in order to keep the roads of Laguna Beach safe including:
- The only time you can drive on a sidewalk is when you are entering (or exiting) a garage or alleyway.
- Do not pass a vehicle that is stopped at a crosswalk because they might be stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross.
- to a blind pedestrian is also a serious and subject to a maximum fine of $1000 and possible 6 months in jail
Laguna Beach California Pedestrian Accident Stats
When it comes to communities in Orange County, California Laguna Beach is regrettably one of the most dangerous when it comes to pedestrian accidents.
With a relatively small population but a sky high amount of tourists (and a tremendous amount of foot traffic), Laguna Beach has been the most dangerous communities in Orange County for pedestrians for quite a few years now.
More than 122 accidents occurred in Laguna Beach during 2017, an accident rate of 5.25 per 1000 people living in the community.
Deaths From Pedestrian Accidents In Laguna Beach In 2017
Thankfully, the great majority of those 122 pedestrian accidents in Laguna Beach did not result in fatalities. Unfortunately, however, one individual did lose their life as a direct result of a pedestrian accident during 2017.
Injuries From Pedestrian Accidents In Laguna Beach In 2017
The overall accident rate for pedestrians in Laguna Beach sits at just above 94%, which is pretty much in line with the overall California State average.
This is about what you’d expect whenever you’re talking about pedestrians involved in accidents with motor vehicles.
Pedestrian Accidents Involve A Drunk Or Distracted Driver
A considerable amount of pedestrian accidents is caused by drunk and distracted driving to be sure.
DUI arrests alone are up almost 30% in Laguna Beach over the last five years.
On top of that, individuals that get behind the wheel after consuming some type of drug have been found to be responsible for 11% of all motor vehicle fatalities.
Distracted driving is a huge problem in the state of California.
According to 2017 research, 80% of all motor vehicle accidents – including those involving pedestrians – were caused by distracted driving or inattentive drivers.
How Many People Live In Laguna Beach
As of 2017, Laguna Beach had a year-round population of just 23,147 people.
At the same time, Laguna Beach is home to some of the most popular tourist destinations in all of Orange County and has a tremendous number of annual visitors – many of which spend time walking throughout the community – which is why the pedestrian accident rates are so high here.
Bad Intersections In Laguna Beach For Pedestrian Accidents
Laguna Beach certainly has its fair share of intersections that motorists and pedestrians will want to be particularly careful when traveling here.
These intersections include, but are not limited to:
- Laguna Canyon Road and El Toro Road
- Coast Highway and Brooks Coast Highway and Anita
- All intersections with the Laguna Canyon Road Speedway