Living in Yorba Linda offers residents a great way of life.
With beautiful weather, a small population (compared to other cities in OC) and access to all that Orange County has to offer, it’s not a surprise that Yorba Linda always ranks as a top city to live in.
With the sunny weather comes a lot of outdoor activity like bike riding playing sports, etc.
As we know riding a bicycle on the city streets can be dangerous no matter what precautions you take – follow traffic laws, wear a helmet, etc.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike accident here in Yorba Linda then call us today for a FREE consultation.
Why Contact The Law Offices of Daniel Kim
After being injured in a bike accident, it is typical for the injured victim to take a while to get their life back on track.
Daniel and his legal team have years of experience dealing with bike accident cases, and we have a 99% client satisfaction rating.
Most injury victims don’t realize that the insurance companies don’t want to pay out any money for any claims.
And if you are injured in a bike accident you can expect the insurance companies to fight you all the way when it comes to you getting compensated for your injuries.
Daniel Kim is not intimidated by the insurance companies, and we won’t accept some small settlement just to get a quick payday.
More Facts About Daniel Kim
- We have over 1000 reviews on Yelp, Google, and Facebook
- A+ rating on the BBB
- We help you get proper medical care
- You can call us 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
Common Causes Of Bike Accidents In Yorba Linda
Bike accidents are unique events and there are many reasons for them as well as many different types of injuries that can occur from them.
Bicyclists are very vulnerable to accidents and injuries when riding on the streets and around the town in Yorba Linda.
When everyone on the road follows the rules and drives with caution many of these accidents can easily be avoided.
As a motorist it is your duty to treat the bike rider with respect and know the laws when sharing the roads.
Statistics show that motorists tend to be the reason why many of these dangerous situations occur and the bicyclist is often the victim of their reckless driving.
Of course, there are times when the bicyclist themselves are at fault for an accident, but no matter who is at fault, anytime a car hits a bicyclist it’s a serious matter.
Below is a list of common reasons for a bike accident in Yorba Linda:
- Distracted drivers – These distractions come in many ways now more than ever. With the stresses of the day drivers can find themselves on the phone talking and texting. Anytime a driver takes his attention off the road dangerous situations can occur with bike riders. When a driver is eating and drinking while driving this can also create a disastrous opportunity to occur. Multitasking and driving are often the cause of so many of these accidents. Being aware of the other drivers, riders and pedestrians takes complete focus in order to keep the roads safe.
- Reckless driving – This includes speeding which we all know that the faster the speed the more damaging the accident will be. Cutting cars off or changing lanes too quickly can cause cars to swerve into the bike lane and cause a crash. Running red lights and stop signs can also be a major influence on bike accidents. Turning into the bike lane unaware of the rider is also dangerous. There are many other reckless driving examples which are cause for concern, so drive with caution.
- DUI – Unfortunately, driving under the influence is still happening more than ever and with this reality comes accidents. Drunk drivers and drivers intoxicated on drugs have a much lower reaction time when confronted with a dangerous situation on the roads. The judgement of the intoxicated driver is risky. The DUI driver can often become a tired or sleepy driver and can nod off behind the wheel. All of these situations are extremely scary for the biker travelling down the street.
- Road conditions – This can affect the rider as well as the driver. Road defects like potholes, cracks, grooves and bumps can be a recipe for disaster. Whenever the surface of the road quickly changes those travelling on it can make a sudden reaction which can be a problem. Bike tires can get stuck in grooves and may cause the rider to swerve to avoid these road maintenance issues. Often bike lanes are not properly marked and signs can be confusing. Be careful and aware of all the conditions while riding.
- Bike maintenance – This is the responsibility of the rider and every bicyclist should have a checklist. Equipment failure can be a serious issue. Check the brakes, seat, tire inflation etc. before you go on your ride. This can help to assure the safety of the bike and be helpful in avoiding accidents. Other things to check and adjust include; handlebars, mirrors and lights.
How Bicycle Riders Can Be Safe and Avoid Accidents in Yorba Linda
The suburban city of Yorba Linda in Orange County is a wonderful place to ride a bike with the average yearly temperature at 63 degrees.
There are many motorists sharing the streets as well which makes safety an important priority.
There are some basic steps that riders can take to avoid an accident and serious injuries, while still enjoying the freedom and exhilaration of bicycle riding.
Bike size – It is important to make sure the size of the bike is in proportion with the rider’s height and weight.
Helmet – This must be worn in order to save the head and skull from devastating injury if ever in an accident.
Protective clothing – This can include pads, pants, gloves and eye protection. The use of reflective clothing to stand out to motorists is also helpful.
Headlights and taillights – Night riders must always have lights on the bike. It is incredibly dangerous and illegal to ride without lights at night.
Map out a route – Give yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go. If travelling a distance prepare beforehand and find the safest route to travel.
Ride in same direction as traffic – This is incredibly important to always ride with the flow of the traffic and never against it.
Common Injuries From Bike Accidents Include
When a bike rider has an accident with a motorist there is usually a great chance that injury will occur.
When the cyclist hits the ground, a vehicle or any other object these injuries are likely to happen and are often serious.
Yorba Linda Bicycle Accidents
Though Yorba Linda is a pretty bustling community in Southern California it just doesn’t see the kind of foot or bicycle traffic that other cities throughout Orange County will each year.
For this reason, the overall rate of bicycle accidents in Yorba Linda remains one of the lowest in Orange County year after year.
In fact, in 2017 the accident rate sat at just 0.88 accidents per 1000 people living in the community with only 59 total bicycle accidents reported over that same stretch of time.
How Many Injuries And Deaths From Bike Accidents In Yorba Linda
The injury rate for accidents involving bicycles and automobiles is understandably quite high.
In Orange County, cyclists of a 10% higher likelihood of being injured after getting struck by a motor vehicle compared to motorcyclists.
More than 90% of all cycling accidents involving automobiles will have at least one injury reported.
Thankfully though, no one lost their lives as a direct result of injuries sustained from a bicycle accident in Yorba Linda during 2017.
% Of These Bike Accident Involved Drugs Or Alcohol
A significant amount of bicycle accidents (especially those involving motor vehicles) can be traced back to individuals operating their vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
The amount of people being arrested and charged for driving while under the influence of alcohol has increased by 30% over the last half decade in the state of California alone.
On top of that, the California Highway Patrol has found that 11% of all fatal accidents can be traced back to individuals driving after they have consumed some type of drug.
Dangerous Intersections In Yorba Linda For Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle traffic in Yorba Linda for the most part stays off of the main highways and byways, the big and busy roads throughout this local community.
For that reason, you’re much more likely to be involved in a Yorba Linda bicycle accident at the following intersections:
- Wabash Avenue and Prospect Avenue
- Blake Road and North Rose Drive
- Valley View Circle and Big Oak Lane
- Watson Way and Black Gold Drive
Bike Accidents Involved A Distracted Driver
While driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol remain a huge challenge for the state of California, getting people to focus while driving has become a major problem as well.
More than 80% of all motor vehicle accidents (including those involving bicycles) are directly linked to the inattention and lack of focus of California drivers.
On top of that, nearly 80% of all motorists’ report that they regularly use their phones, text, or check email while they are behind the wheel.
They do so even though they know it’s distracting, dangerous, and illegal.