Sherman Oaks Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Living in Sherman Oaks offers local residents a great chance to ride a motorcycle to the beach, or to Sage Brush Cantina off the 101.
The riding part is thrilling, but we all know it’s very dangerous to ride a motorcycle.
If you or a loved one gets injured in a motorcycle crash we encourage you to call us today.
Do not attempt to fight the insurance companies alone.
Why Contact Law Office of Daniel Kim
If you get injured in a motorcycle crash then you need to be ready to deal with all the drama.
Of course the most important thing is getting proper medical care and focusing on your health and recovery, but along with that you’ll have to worry about dealing with the insurance companies.
There are ways to really choose the right injury lawyer to help you, and you want to be careful about just hiring any law firm.
Daniel Kim and his legal team only deal with motor vehicle accidents, so we are very well versed in the motorcycle laws and legal loopholes here in California.
The Law Offices of Daniel Kim is an aggressive law firm that won’t be intimidated by the big insurance companies who want to deny your claim and not pay out any compensation.
Our law firm has over 1000 positive reviews on Yelp, FB, and Google.
The main difference between us and other injury lawyers is that when you call us you’ll actually speak to a lawyer, not a paralegal or assistant.
And trust us, this is a Huge difference when you need professional help and answers to your questions.
Common Causes For Motorcycle Accidents
Riding a motorcycle is a lot of fun and an exhilarating experience but can also be highly dangerous.
The vulnerability of a motorcycle rider can make riding risky especially when you mix in larger motor vehicles and other traffic.
There are multiple factors that can create a dangerous situation for the motorcyclist and injuries often result if an accident does occur.
Quite often the accident is caused by human error of the automobile driver and when an accident does occur it is the motorcyclist that will sustain the most of the injuries.
Listed below are some of the most common reasons below that lead to a motorcycle wreck.
- Lane splitting – This happens when a motorcyclist rides between lanes often by unsuspecting vehicles. This is legal but dangerous and not recommended.
- Left hand turns – This turn is one of the most dangerous ones that can cause accidents. These types of accidents are common with cars, but the motorcycle’s smaller size makes it even less visible to the turning vehicle.
- Speeding – This is always a leading cause of accidents. Speeding makes it very hard to see a motorcycle rider and the higher the speed the worse the impact and injuries.
- Road hazards – Motorcycles face higher risks from road hazards than do other types of vehicles. Because of the size and stability of the motorcycle, potholes, cracks, bumps, oil slicks, standing water etc. can be a serious safety threat to motorcycles.
- DUI – This continues to be a major reason for motorcycle accidents and all types of crashes. Whenever anyone is on the road intoxicated or under the influence the risk of an accident increases.
- Weather conditions – In Sherman Oaks the most inclement weather is usually rain and fog which can lead to serious accidents. Visibility issues arise and slick roads can create disaster.
- Distracted driving – When a motorist is unfocused and multi-tasking while driving, opportunity for an accident will increase. Often drivers are texting, talking or checking GPS which will take their attention off the road. All it takes is a split second for an accident to occur.
- Taking a turn – Going into a turn to quick can be dangerous for the rider. Riders should always proceed with caution as they approach any turn and be aware of the dangers.
Common Injuries From a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle accidents don’t necessarily happen more frequently than other types of auto accidents, but are more likely to result in serious injury or death when they do occur.
Wearing a helmet and thick clothing as well as padding, gloves and proper eyewear can be helpful to lessen the severity of an accident, but the fact remains that injuries are bound to happen when a motorcyclist collides with a vehicle or falls to the road.
It is crucial to always follow all the motorcycle laws in Sherman Oaks and drive with caution.
If you do get hit by a motorist, these 3 injuries are probably what you’ll be dealing with:
- Head injuries – Motorcycle accidents with head injuries are not uncommon compared to vehicle accidents, but they can be more distressing and devastating. When a motorcyclist hits his head on an object or on the ground it makes for serious consequences. Loss of motor skills, seizures and even paralysis can occur from Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Road rash – When a motorcyclist lands on the pavement or on the surface of the road the skin can be damaged and torn as the skin is dragged across the ground. If the rider is not protected with proper thick clothing the results can be extremely harmful. If not properly treated the skin can later be infected and permanent scarring can occur.
- Bone fractures – Broken bones are common in motorcycle accidents and all types of bones can be affected if in a crash. The spinal cord, pelvis, arms, legs, and wrists are some of the most common. Bone breaks can become compound fractures which often lead to long recovery time and surgery in many instances.
Sherman Oaks Motorcycle Accidents
California has the highest amount of registered motorcycles than any other state in the US, which means there are more motorcycles on California roadways than anywhere else in the nation.
The major Los Angeles metropolitan area has a considerable amount of motorcycles registered as well, with plenty of people cruising up and down the streets and neighborhoods of Sherman Oaks on two wheels.
All of this traffic inevitably leads to a decent amount of motorcycle accidents, and in 2017 there were more than 2100 motorcycle accidents throughout the LA Metro region.
How Many Injuries And Fatalities Were Caused By Motorcycle Accidents In Sherman Oaks 2017?
While motorcycle accidents only account for 3% of all traffic accidents in Sherman Oaks (and throughout the rest of the LA community, for that matter) they are responsible for a little more than 15% of all traffic related fatalities.
What Percentage Of Accident Involved Alcohol/Drugs?
You’d like to think that individuals driving along Sherman Oaks roads on two wheels, with a lot less protection than those driving traditional automobiles, would never get on top of their motorcycle after consuming drugs or alcohol.
This unfortunately isn’t the case.
Arrests for driving while under the influence of alcohol are up 30% in the last half decade throughout the state of California. Worse, 11% of every automobile fatality in the state can be tracked back to individuals driving their vehicle after consuming some kind of drug.
How Many People Own A Motorcycle In California?
As highlighted earlier, there are more than 800,000 motorcycles registered to individuals in the state of California – the most amount of motorcycles registered anywhere in the United States by a wide margin.
Worst Intersections In Sherman Oaks For Motorcycle Accidents?
If you are going to be driving a motorcycle in and around the Sherman Oaks community of Los Angeles you will want to be sure that you are particularly careful when traveling near or through the following intersections:
- Kester Avenue and Weddington Street
- Kester Avenue and Clark Street
- Riverside Drive and Van Nuys Boulevard
- Woodman Avenue and Ventura Boulevard
- Coldwater Canyon Avenue and Moorpark Street
- Burbank Boulevard and Fulton Avenue
- Magnolia Boulevard and Van Nuys Boulevard
What Is The Penalty For Not Wearing A Motorcycle Helmet In California?
The California Highway Patrol has a lot of leeway and a lot of latitude when it comes to assessing penalties for individuals operating motorcycles without wearing protective helmets.
The fine for this penalty (for first offenders) can be for anything between $10 and $250, with 12 months of probation also possible as well.