Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in LA
Los Angeles is well known for nice weather, and many residents walk everywhere to enjoy the sun that shines all year round.
When you combine nice weather and millions of people, you end up with A lot of people walking around Los Angeles.
With all that foot traffic comes many pedestrian accidents all over the city.
And not all pedestrian accidents involve a car, many times people walking are hit by a motorcycle or electric scooter, or even city work trucks (think of the power company, etc.).
Anytime a pedestrian is hit by a motor vehicle the injuries can be very serious since the pedestrian has no protection around them.
We put this article together to educate our readers about the dangers of being a pedestrian in LA.
Why Contact Los Angeles Law Office of Daniel Kim
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in Los Angeles, you don’t want to fight the insurance companies and the legal system by yourself.
Daniel Kim is a top pedestrian accident lawyer here in Los Angeles with 5 Star ratings on Yelp and Google.
After a pedestrian accident your life can become very stressful with the insurance companies calling you, dealing with medical bills, and trying to recover from your injuries.
When you hire Daniel Kim and his team to represent you, you won’t have to worry about paying any fees until we win your case.
Our law firm helps with all motor vehicle accidents in Los Angeles County including bicycle, motorcycle, automobile, Uber, and Semi-truck accidents.
And if we don’t win your injury lawsuit then you don’t pay us any money.
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so call us now for a FREE consultation.
<imgsrc=”https://usaccidentlawyer.com/wp-content/us_uploads/2019/06/los-angeles.png” alt=”los angeles lawyer for pedestrian accident” width=”372″ height=”411″ />
Pedestrian Accidents In Los Angeles?
According to information released by the City of Los Angeles Transportation Department traffic fatalities involving pedestrians have spiked up to the highest level they’ve ever been in 15 years.
Following a nationwide trend of pedestrian accidents and deaths that has reached the highest point it’s ever been in 25 years.
In Los Angeles County in 2017, 82,437 people were injured or died because of automotive accidents.
LA saw an increase in pedestrian fatalities and accidents of 36.9% from the year 2011.
How Many Deaths From Pedestrian Accidents in LA in 2017?
According to the report released by the Governors Highway Safety Association, LA County has the highest number of pedestrian deaths in the entire United States.
This included more than 265 people killed because of traffic related accidents or injuries in 2017 alone.
Even more shocking is the fact that LA County is so significantly more dangerous for pedestrians than the next most dangerous County in the US.
Maricopa County in Arizona comes in second at 133 pedestrian deaths in 2017.
How Many Injuries From Pedestrian Accidents in 2017?
In 2017, more than 60,000 traffic collisions occurred in the city of LA – a 7% increase over the previous year.
A considerable amount of these accidents involved pedestrians (with some reports suggesting that nearly 40% included pedestrians).
And the overwhelming majority of these pedestrian involved accidents resulted in at least some serious injuries to those involved.
What % of Drivers Tested Positive For Drugs Or Alcohol?
28% of ALL traffic related fatalities – including those that involved pedestrians dying – were directly linked to California drivers while they were impaired.
32% of these drivers were found to have been impaired by some type of drug, prescription or illegal substance.
And the remainder were found to be inebriated and under the influence of alcohol.
What % of These LA Pedestrian Accidents Involved A Distracted Driver?
About 80% of traffic accidents that involved pedestrians in LA (both the city and the county) were found to have been related to some form of distracted driver.
On top of that, more than 40% of all California drivers statewide willingly admit that they –
- check their phones
- send out texts
- update social media
- and check out their emails while they are driving.
Most Dangerous Intersections in LA for pedestrians
The LA Times did a study and these intersections were considered to be the most dangerous for pedestrians.
- Slauson Ave. and Western Ave.
- Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave
- MLK Jr. and Crenshaw Blvd.
<imgsrc=”https://usaccidentlawyer.com/wp-content/us_uploads/2018/05/pedestrian-hero-1024×320.jpg” alt=”pedestrian accidents in LA” width=”512″ height=”160″ />
Common Types of Pedestrian Accidents in LA
Like all accidents there are many ways that a pedestrian accident can happen where the driver may be at fault.
If you have been injured by a driver in a pedestrian accident in Los Angeles then it is in your best interest to contact a personal injury lawyer immediately.
Waiting to call Daniel Kim and his team will only hurt your injury claim.
Call us today if you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident.
Crosswalk accidents – it is very common for a driver to just ignore crosswalks all together, but hitting a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk is a very serious offense that can lead to criminal and civil penalties.
Intersection accidents – when vehicles are turning at intersections many times the driver won’t look for pedestrians in crosswalks.
Sadly this can happen because the driver is distracted (cell phones, etc.).
Hit and run accidents – this type of accident happens often because the driver doesn’t have car insurance or maybe not even a license.
If you are hit by a car and the driver takes off it can complicate your potential claim so call Daniel Kim today and get help.
Back over accidents – this happens when a car just backs over a pedestrian, normally in a parking lot or maybe a driveway and many times it happens to kids because they are harder to see.
Los Angeles Pedestrian Laws and Right of Way
When we were kids most of our parents did their best to teach us about crossing a busy road and how to stay safe while walking.
But just because you are careful doesn’t give you the right of way as a pedestrian and there are strict laws set forth by California that you need to be aware of.
Keep in mind that people who operate a motor vehicle have certain laws they need to follow also.
But as a pedestrian you want to be as careful as possible and follow California vehicle codes.
These laws below must be observed by anybody driving a motor vehicle.
- You are not to pass a vehicle that is stopped at a crosswalk because they might be stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross.
- Do not stop in a sidewalk because this will always put a pedestrian in danger if they have to walk around your car.
- A driver must yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian who is crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk (or any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection).
- The only time you can drive on a sidewalk is when you are entering (or exiting) a garage or alleyway, and even then you need to watch out for and yield to pedestrians.
- Pedestrians should never jaywalk, and if a car gets into a wreck while trying to avoid a jaywalker, then most likely that pedestrian will be held liable.
There are certain rules that apply to blind pedestrians.
If the blind pedestrian is to pull their cane inward and moves away from the curb then that means they aren’t looking to cross the street.
Los Angeles takes these laws very serious and drivers who fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians will face a minimum penalty of $220 if an injury occurs.
Failing to yield to a blind pedestrian is of course much more serious and subject to a maximum fine of $1000 and possible 6 months in jail.
The bottom line is that drivers and pedestrians both need to be careful and be totally aware of their surroundings to make the roads in LA a bit safer.
Common Injuries From a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrians that are hit by a car or truck usually suffer pretty severe injuries.
There are many factors that play into how bad a pedestrian will get hurt.
Things like how fast was the car going, type of vehicle, and of course the pedestrian’s age and health can play a role.
Most common injuries we see from pedestrian accidents:
- Internal injuries – this includes internal bleeding, rib fractures, brain bleeds which are all very serious injuries
- Head trauma – whenever a brain injury is involved in a traffic accident the results are usually bad for that pedestrian. Traumatic brain injuries must be treated with extreme caution by an expert doctor.
- Pelvic injuries – these are very common in pedestrian accidents
- Broken bones – maybe the most common injury in a pedestrian accident are broken arms, ankles, legs, wrists etc.
- Lacerations – this type of injury can be very painful and take a while to heal as it really depends on the location and how deep the wound is.
- Back and spine – this is always a bad situation when the back or spine is damaged. The spinal cord keeps the brain and body working together and just a small injury can be traumatic.
- Wrongful death – the worst case of all is when a pedestrian is killed from a car crash.
Pedestrian Hit By a Car Settlement
Many of our pedestrian accident clients will ask “what is average compensation for being hit by a car” and “can I sue for being hit as a pedestrian”?
A pedestrian accident settlement calculator is what people want to use to just easily come up with a $ amount, but it’s not always that easy.
There are certain factors that go into a pedestrian accident settlement.
Things like who is at fault, how bad are the injuries etc., all play into a settlement.
- Fault – lawyers and insurers will study the accident scene, property damage to determine fault. If the pedestrian is at fault in anyway it can greatly affect the compensation you get.
- Recovery – if your injuries are permanent or take a while to heal from you’ll get more money
- Injuries – of course the severity of your injuries will be a major factor in how much $ you can get.
- Work – if a pedestrian in LA misses work due to the accident (or permanently disabled) then this will for sure increase the possible compensation you get.
All of this is why it’s crucial to call Daniel Kim Los Angeles Law Office today and let us fight for you.
Don’t just sit and wait for the insurance company to help you.
What To Do If You Are a Pedestrian Hit By a Car
Of course the first thing you want to do is ensure your safety and get out of the road.
After that you’ll want to call the police (and get a police report later on to help your claim).
Take pictures of any signs, crosswalk, the driver and car, your injuries, etc.
Exchange information with any witnesses, and of course get the drivers info (license, insurance, etc.).
Seek medical attention, even if you think you are OK, you need to have a doctor check you out.
Contact our law offices today so Daniel Kim can answer your questions.