Lake Forest Bike Accident Lawyer
Lake Forest is a beautiful, quiet city in Orange County.
Similar to other cities in The OC, residents in Lake Forest spend a lot of time outside walking and riding their bikes.
Unfortunately, there are bicycle accidents that happen in Lake Forest (with children and adults, etc.) and it’s just a risk you take if you ride a bike around town.
Of course there are things you can do like wear a helmet and wear bright clothing to protect yourself, but ultimately accidents can still happen.
So many things can cause a bike accident, from a person backing over a bicyclist in their driveway, to a Postmates driver hitting a person on a bike, to even a moving truck colliding with a bike rider near their house.
If you are a loved one has been injured in a bike accident here in Lake Forest please contact Daniel Kim for a FREE consultation.
Do not sit around and do Nothing, that would be a huge mistake.
Why Contact The Law Offices of Daniel Kim
Daniel Kim is a Top rated personal injury lawyer in Lake Forest and actually all of Southern California.
What really sets Daniel apart is his compassion towards his clients.
When you call most law firms about a bike accident you end up speaking to an assistant, but when you call us you’ll talk to an actual attorney if you have a case.
Daniel Kim and his legal team have years and years of experience helping injured bike riders who need to obtain a settlement from the insurance companies.
The Law Offices of Daniel Kim has a 99% client satisfaction rating that is unheard of in this industry.
Don’t just hire a bike accident lawyer because they are a friend of your family or whatever, you need to hire the best to represent you.
More Facts About Daniel Kim
- Award-winning lawyer
- We have over 1000 positive reviews on Google and Yelp
- A+ rating at the BBB
- You can call us 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
- We help you get proper medical treatment
- Pay us no Fees until we win your case
Common Causes Of Bike Accidents In Lake Forest
Cycling has been becoming more and more popular throughout many cities and a major focus point for city leaders and community planning.
There are a couple of main reasons for this upward trend.
The bike rider enjoys the freedom of avoiding traffic congestion and many like the fact that they no longer are reliant on fossil fuels and are environmentally friendly.
When vehicles and bicyclists share the roads on the streets of Lake Forest there is still the chance that an accident can occur.
The bike rider is much more vulnerable to injury than the motorist for obvious reasons.
In some accidents we see the bicyclist at fault, but in the large majority of situations the driver of the car or truck is to blame.
No matter who is at fault, anytime a car hits a bike rider it can be a harmful situation.
Below is a list of common reasons for a bike accident in Lake Forest:
- Getting Doored – When a bike rider is hit by a vehicle opening their door in the bike lane it can cause serious injury to the rider. A rider following the rules of the road can be unexpectedly put in this situation by a careless motorist. The responsibility to look before opening the door is solely on the driver. Injuries can include broken bones, head trauma, etc. and can occur from flying off the bike and hitting the door and the ground.
- Motorist not yielding – It is incredibly important for everyone on and around Lake Forest to share the roads and city streets in a safe and courteous manner. This is easy to say but often motorists can forget that bike riders have a right to the streets as much as they do. When a driver fails to give the right away to a cyclist and the bike rider is following the rules an accident can happen. Remember, as a cyclist to use hand signals, make eye contact etc. and understand that not all drivers are aware of your presence.
- Dangerous Roads – Along with the cars, buses, pedestrians and motorcyclists, bike riders also have to be aware of other obstacles on the city streets. Treacherous road conditions can add to a bike riders’ danger. Things like manhole covers, potholes, cracks and crevices in the roads can all lead to accidents and serious injury of the bike rider. Always try and avoid these hazards and drive with focus.
- Speeding – This is a major cause of accidents and blame can be put on the cyclist as well as the motorist depending on the situation. In slower traffic the bike rider can find themselves speeding along faster than the moving vehicles. This can be dangerous. A motorist speeding will have less time to react if confronted with a dangerous situation with a rider. Both can be at fault and serious injury can result.
- Distracted drivers – This is a major problem with motorists on the phone. Using GPS, texting, talking etc. can lead to accidents with bicyclists. Other things like eating or drinking can also lead to recklessness. The cyclist should never wear earplugs and listen to music or talk on the phone will riding. The cyclist needs to stay aware at all times to lower the risk of incident.
How Bicycle Riders Can Be Safe and Avoid Accidents in Lake Forest
No matter how many precautions a bicyclist takes, they will always be at risk while sharing the roads with all the automobiles in Lake Forest.
But there are steps that bicycle rider can take to avoid an accident and serious injuries.
1. Be prepared – Before you start your ride make sure the bike is the proper size for your height and weight and skill set.
2. Bike check – Make sure the bike is in proper working condition and that the brakes, handlebars, lights and reflectors are ready for the ride.
3. Make a plan – Try and plan your route before you start your ride. Make sure you give yourself enough time to get where you need to be.
4. Wear a helmet – A helmet is extremely important and can help to avoid serious injury or even save your life. Be smart and never ride without one.
5. Proper Clothing – Bright clothing with reflective material is always best when riding. Pads and protective gear can also help if an accident ever occurs.
6. Drive defensively – Never assume the driver of the vehicle sees you. Make sure that you drive with caution at all times. Drive with the flow of the traffic and obey all the rules of the road.
7. Take bicycle safety class – Knowledge is power. One of the best ways to stay safe is to take a bicycle safety class through the schools or local recreation department. Be a confident rider.
8. Be polite while riding a bike – This is just simple things like don’t run red lights, don’t run stop signs, and don’t cut off cars intentionally or ride aggressively.
Lake Forest Bicycle Accident Stats
The Lake Forest community, like a lot of other communities in Orange County, enjoys picture-perfect weather almost every single day of the year.
Combine that with the highly urban area that the city is made up of and it’s easy to see why so many people choose to travel by bicycle when given the opportunity.
With all this bicycle traffic it would be reasonable to assume that bicycle accident rates are pretty high in Lake Forest.
But nothing could be further from the truth.
In fact, there were fewer than 0.76 bicycle accidents per thousand individuals living in Lake Forest reported during all of 2017.
Injuries or Deaths From Bike Accidents In Lake Forest 2017
Slightly more than 90% of all cyclist accidents in Lake Forest had at least a single injury reported as a result, but thankfully there were absolutely zero fatalities whatsoever from bicycle accidents in Lake Forest during 2017.
% Of Bike Accidents Were Found to Involve Drugs Or Alcohol
While those riding bicycles usually aren’t consuming drugs or alcohol beforehand and then getting into accidents (though this does happen from time to time), motorists in automobiles that have been using these substances before operating a vehicle are one of the biggest dangers to cyclists throughout California – not just here in Lake Forest, throughout the entire state.
DUI arrest rates have been growing by thirty percent across the last 5 years.
On top of that, reports suggest that 11% of all automobile accidents are caused by motorists that have consumed drugs before getting behind the wheel.
Dangerous Intersections In Lake Forest For Bicycle Accidents
The most accident-prone intersections in Lake Forest for cyclists are some of the more residential communities, with intersections like the ones we highlight below being some of the intersections cyclists will want to avoid if at all possible:
- Sunflower and Alton Parkway
- Catalina Road and have Alton Parkway
- Orchard Road and Rancho Parkway South
- Purpose Drive and Portola Parkway and
- White Fir Lane and Primrose Lane
What % Of Bike Accidents Are Caused or Involve A Distracted Driver?
The California Department of Transportation found that 80% of automobile accidents – including those involving cyclists – could be linked back to driver inattention in one form or another.
On top of that, 75% of California motorists (and a decent number of cyclists, too) self-report using their cell phone while they are out and about on the roads even though they know it’s dangerous and illegal.